The purpose of this program is to honor Scott Boyle's name and legacy through the development and proliferation of a program which will facilitate the growth of younger officials around the country.
The goal of this program is to develop officials, by utilizing on-field evaluations throughout the spring season. As such, observers will be trained to identify and communicate key areas for improvement in working officials, and will be tasked with checking to see if these officials have implemented the suggestions into their games.
October 15th: Deadline for submitting completed applications
November 1st: US Lacrosse emails notifications to applicants
Please contact the US Lacrosse Officials Education Department at email@example.com with any questions or concerns.
Who can apply for the Scott Boyle Memorial Observers Program Grant?
US Lacrosse grants only two (2) Scott Boyle Memorial Observers Program Grants annually of up to $2,500 each. Qualifying groups include, but are not limited to:
- New Local Officials Organizations (LOO's) that want to begin an observers and evaluation program.
- Established LOO's that want to begin or build upon an observers and evaluation program.
US Lacrosse Sub-Districts (SD's) that want to establish a regional observers program across their sub-district.
- In this instance, only the US Lacrosse Sub-District Coordinator would apply on behalf of all the LOO's in the sub-district.
How will US Lacrosse evaluate the applications?
Applications are evaluated based on the following criteria:
Quality of the application:
- All fields are complete.
- Questions are clearly answered.
- Includes one (1) letter of recommendation
Quality of the organization:
- Applicant group has a clearly defined plan to implement an observers and evaluation program.
- Applicant group has identified the target audience.
- Applicant group has support from the leadership of the LOO.
- Program will impact the core demographic of officials within the group.
- Program will ultimately result in a higher rate of consistency between officials.
- Program will establish or grow an observers and evaluation program in the group.
- Program participants will be provided with a clear career progression for advancement.
How do I apply for the Scott Boyle Memorial Observers Program Grant?
All of the instructions listed below must be followed in order for your application to meet qualification standards when reviewed. Thank you for your attention to these requirements.
- Only one (1) application per LOO/SD is permitted.
- Applicant must be a member in good standing with US Lacrosse in order to apply.
- Each submission must include the last two (2) years of financial statements for your LOO.
Each application submission should include at least one (1) letter of recommendation. Please scan and email the letter and financial statements to firstname.lastname@example.org. The individual completing this application cannot write the recommendation letter.
Possible sources of recommendation (this list is not exhaustive):
- Sub-district Coordinator
- District Coordinator
- US Lacrosse Chapter President
- League or local school system administrator
- Possible sources of recommendation (this list is not exhaustive):
Submit recommendation letters and financial statements to US Lacrosse via email at email@example.com.
- Do not mail or fax recommendation letters or other required documents.